Sunday, November 30, 2014

Black and White and Read All Over

Black and White and Read All Over
While I am a self-confessed 'non-lover' of writing on quilts, there are times when, I must admit, I really - truly - admire how other people incorporate text in a way that I think is simply fabulous.

So, this latest Latitude quilts challenge - Lettering - was a huge, huge, huge challenge for me. Even the mere idea of having to use text sent me into a spin of anxiety!

My little quilt is a play on words. More specifically, on the the children's riddle:

Q: "What is black and white and read all over?"
A: "A newspaper!"

To create the design, I took the word "read" and hand wrote it in large, childish script on paper.  Each letter was then separated from the others and deconstructed, simply by cutting them in half! These pieces were shuffled around until I found a design that pleased me, and colours (black, white and red, of course) were applied.
Each piece was fused to a white background and edged with satin stitch.

Black and White and Read All Over (detail)
And the faint lettering that appears here and there in the background was printed (deliberately back to front) on fabric and appliquéd to the background. These faint exclamations are a loose reference to the gradual disappearance - sadly - of punctuation in our written (English) language.
Black and White and Read All Over (detail)
The hatched design of the quilting in the background makes reference to the columns and blocks of text found in a typical newspaper layout.

The quilt is made with cotton fabric in solid and printed fabrics, with some pre-printed using a fusing technique on 'prepared for dyeing' fabric. Rayon thread has been used for the satin stitch and quilting. The quilt measures 15" x 15".

More of my work can be seen on my blog
Deborah Wirsu




5 comments:

  1. Such a great idea for abstract quilt! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly like the reverse text. The whole is very intriguing. The abstract shapes seem to have a hidden meaning. Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shapes, lines and colours in the quilt, they create a stunning image

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice piece Deborah. I love your reference to the losing of punctuation in our language, something that irritates me more and more as I get older!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to use childish letters, cut them apart and then make a reconstruction. This is probably a very good way to try to make abstract art. I really like the outcome.

    ReplyDelete