Thursday, July 31, 2014

Underwing

'Underwing'
Recently I was revisiting some photos I took at the Melbourne Museum a couple of years ago, of their butterfly collection, and was reminded of just how colourful the underside of butterfly wings can be - just as bright and cheerful as the tops. It seems they are out to attract a mate (or possibly camouflage themselves?) with every fibre of their tiny, delicate beings!
Being winter here in Melbourne at the moment, I was attracted to bright colours to create a cheerful path through the grey days. 

'Underwing' - detail
This is not a true representation of any particular butterfly, rather a joyful explosion of the brilliance and beauty of these wonderful little insects. The design is inspired by the mola style of the Panamanian Indians, though not worked in reverse appliqué technique.

'Underwing' - detail
The fabric is cotton in solid colours, with each piece applied using turned edge appliqué and 'invisible' machine stitching. The background is quilted using a simple pebble stitch design.
The finished quilt measures 15" x 15".

'Underwing' - detail
To see more of my work, visit my website.




9 comments:

  1. Love this,Deborah! Bold, graphic and colourful! A great concept on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your technique is always impeccable. You really excel at this graphic approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A successful transition from butterfly to abstract design, with a stunningly colourful work. Lovely stitching and applique is definitely invisible on our screens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your clean, grapich approach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The approach looks abstract but I immidiately tought of a butterfly when I saw your quilt. Vwonderful colourscand perfect technic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the vibrant colours and the shapes. This captures the essence of one of those exotic butterflies we only see in pictures. Wish I could see the details in person

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a color explosion! Love your bright colors together with the black outlines. Many years ago when I was absolutely new to quilting, in the 1980, I took my first quilting class with an American quilter, Mary Ellen Hopkins. She said "You never go wrong with black" and this you have shown in an excellent way in this lovely piece.
    I very much admire your very neat way of working.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous and vibrant piece, Deb. You have a wonderfully distinctive stye. Your use of colour is inspiring. Precise work, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colourful, beautiful; an interesting abstraction of the wings of butterflies! It reminds me that butterflies are too on my "to-do-list".

    ReplyDelete