Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Rip in the Space Time Continuum




What is behind the fabric of space? Are we essentially a gold fish bowl in a much bigger picture? Is there anything beyond space? Are there workings out there that we haven't even begun to discover? What would we see if there was a tear in the fabric if space? These are my questions for the challenge 'Under the Surface'. Maybe I watch too much Star Trek and Through the Wormhole, but these questions have always fascinated me. 

I once again returned to my cogs which I used in my 'Escape' piece. I found them to fit with this theme well to imagine what might be the under fabric of space. I used hand dyed fabric for the 'space' and quilted the swirling clouds and nebula. For the base fabric, I used procion dyes, acrylic paints, inks and silk screen paints to mono-print, stamp and stencil the background of space. I used commercial fabric for the cogs.

Materials used: Hand dyed fabric, commercial fabric, Madeira thread, acrylic paint, silk screen paint, kenton inks, procion dyes.




9 comments:

  1. VERY nice!!! Quilting enhances design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cogs in your design. They work so well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blue surface, with its beautiful stitching is the perfect foil for the cogs and underworld. I can also see the complex world that is under our seas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicate colour scheme. And the use of cogs are interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilting of the space fabric is vwonderful and I just keep ging back to your underworld as there is so much to discovery in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your concepts are always so interesting, Amanda, and I think you've represented your ideas really well. Love the quilting effects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting quilt, so much to see. The warm rips with all their intricate details verses the cool blue with the wonderful stitched patterns. I like this revisit to the cogs. They really do give a feeling of time and things happening,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another wonderful piece, Amanda. I think it is very good that you are carrying an image through into different pieces. Lovely colour and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too like the blue surface and its quilting. The cogs and their colour are the right addtion to it. Very interesting is your idea behind this piece. Every time, when I hear that space is limited, I ask me what is behind.


    ReplyDelete