Thursday, July 31, 2014

Backside Mystery

Gabriele Bach - Backside Mystery

This challenge remembered me of a visit of a quilt exhibition many years ago. I just had begun quilting, the quilts shown were very modern from the leading quiltartists in Germany. At that time I didn't like it. One quilt was the backside of a quilt, not what you think, no, it was the bottom side of the bed, where quilts normally lie. It showed springs, dust, dirt and forgotten cloths. I never forgot it and today I think the artist did a good job.
Normally my quilts are neat and proper. You won't see seam allowances,  loose threadends or knots. But of course it gives them, hidden under the surface of the top.
So I decided to turn around a quilttop and show what is underneath. I used a piece of self dyed fabric, cut it, rearranged and sewed it. After ironing it looked like this.
I like this fabric very much and saved it for a long time. For this piece I could use it, because nothing is wasted, you can even see the seam allowances.


Backside Mystery - detail
When I backed it with batting and a backside. I embroidered it with white and red, self dyed yarn. I used the running stitch, because it looks equal on both sides.






For me this piece was hard work, because I must prevent me every minute from cutting the loose thread ends. I needed a lot of tries till I began every embroidery line with the knot on the top.

9 comments:

  1. I really like your idea for this piece. You have used the "hidden" parts of a quilt in a way that makes them very beautiful and rich. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to smile as you describe how hard it was to leave the cotton threads and the knots! The hand stitching works particularly well, and I like the different colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this backside better than the front side. It has so much more texture. And you have managed to keep the colour scheme simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gold idea. The backside of a quilt top is often more interesting than the Front. Maybe we should do this from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel with leaving loose ends....I find it almost impossible, so I admire you for taking on the challenge! I think it's worked really well and I love the base colour you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea and all the textures. It works so very well in that beautiful fabric. It's amazing how those loose threads add to the interest of the work

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have interpreted the theme in a very clever way and I understand so well your agony about loose threads, but think you were brave using this lovely fabrics in this liberating way to work.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the loose ends! Lots of lovely texture with the quilting and mottled hand dyed fabric. Your idea is very original- I wont tell you what I thought it was going to be about, given the title!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea Gabriele! I never would have thought of this but it has worked so well. I too would have had a hard time not cutting the loose threads!

    ReplyDelete