Friday, January 31, 2014

Balance?




When this theme "Balance" was announced I thought there were so many possibilities that it should not be too difficult to find a good idea to interpret the theme, but with many options to tackle, it was not so easy any longer. What to choose? The balance practice at the gym was my first thing to ponder about, building towers with lego and blocks were another one, but at the end I chosen to build something with stones. I like stones and organic forms so make something with stones were a good choice, a bit of a challenge though, to make a balanced pile of stones, perhaps impossible?
As I wanted to give the stones different textures I used a lot of different materials, which are raw appliquéd on top of a background fabric dyed with Procion MX Dye.














Materials used are: cotton fabrics, Evolon, wool, paper, Lutradur, textile paint, foil and silk, metallic and wool threads.

8 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful piece, Ann-Mari. You have put so much interest into the stones and executed it so well that I could look at it for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been in Japan but this quilt I think looks like stone garden. So many calmness in your piece, Ann-Mari! I can imagine how beautiful it is in reality with so many textures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These interesting shapes look like universes or galaxies to me. I really like the textures and colours you have included in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too thought you were looking at planetary forms...pondering the intricate balance of orbit and distance from the sun...intelligent design, etc. I really like the floating effect you have given the stones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The complementary colours and the proportions of the abstract shapes, give a wonderful sense of balance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't sure at first what these shapes were - planets? stones? amoeba? But I don't think it matters as so often we look at art work without knowing the intention of the artist. I love the way you've organised the stones on the 'canvas' and the colours are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the shape and colours in this piece to be very pleasant. Balanced indeed. I absolutely love the interesting surface effects that you have achieved using foil, metallics, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is such an exercise in balance, colours, shapes and details. There is a beautiful tension in there but also seems to be caught in a moment of equilibrium. Stunning

    ReplyDelete