Saturday, November 30, 2013

Escape






When this theme was announced there was only one thing that appeared in my mind. It was our plot with olive trees and the view from our house in Greece. This really is the place to which I can escape and use my time to all the things that make me happy and creative and with very little "musts".
I chose to make a piece showing the wonderful  view I can enjoy and look at every day when I am there with the olive trees in the foreground and the Messenia Gulf  and the peninsula, on the other side of the Gulf with the high mountain top, the Prophet Elias, 2400 meters over above sea level.

The background is  whole cloth, painted with Dye-na-Flow paint and four patches are sun printed with Dye-na -flow paint, screen printing ink and fabric paint with letter masks made from freezer paper  with the letters esc , as the word esc on the PC keyboard.
On top of this I have printed some olive trees on ExtravOrganza and fused them using white Misty fuse.

Finally the piece is quilted with running stitches and seed stitches with cotton and metallic threads. In order to emphasize the trees I put some paint with Shiva paint sticks on top of the embroidery stitches on top of the trees.








7 comments:

  1. What fond memories you have of your second home. The layers of sheers, and the beautiful hand stitching, work to accentuate the important features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the softness of your images. The sheer fabric gives a dreamy quality to the quilt. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Janice; this quilt has a wonderful dreamy feel that's very lovely. I really like the combination of the big stitches stitches, the sheers, and the sheers. It's exciting to see you make this quilt after the more graphic ones you've made in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely piece, Ann Marie, your layering and use of multi-media is inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a beautiful timelessness to this piece, as I imagine you might feel sitting in your olive grove in Greece. It's like a collage of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so delicate and evocative. A lovely piece Ann Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flow of colour combined with the mid ground and those details of stitch all combine to capture the essence of sun warmed days. It's beautiful

    ReplyDelete