Monday, September 30, 2013

Rings on water







After having had a lot of thoughts for the current theme “Sounds of Silence” I decided that I would like to interpret it with some kind of water. For example silent waves rolling up on the beach, a light rain falling down. Although at the end I settled for drops falling on a water surface  expanding and then disappearing in silence.

The piece is a wolecloth of natural colored linen, circles are rubbed on with a blue Shiva Paint stick and then the circles/rings were quilted by machine with cotton and gold metallic threads. The rings and drops in different sizes and values of blue cotton and silk fabrics were raw edge appliquéd with cotton, rayon and silk threads.

7 comments:

  1. Ann-Mari, this is a good balance of shape and value. I like the effects of the paintsticks and the circular quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann-Mari, this is a lovely image, it is like looking through a window onto a puddle, raindrops always evoke calm for me. Strangely I find inner peace when there is a great thunderstorm crashing aboutAnd this image brings that to mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, well balanced work. I love the blue colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raindrops and their silence is a hard choice to depict on a quilt, but you have achieved this stunningly well. Gorgeous choice of blue colours. This is an energetic but quiet piece to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue and white...a very restful combination! Lovely piece Ann-Marie. It is interesting that the blue in the close up looks more illuminous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the movement in this piece, Ann-Mari. I think all the overlapping quilted circles are fabulous and they are not easy to do! I'm glad you used hand dyed fabrics because the color variations in them make the quilt sing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your design and colour palette but I particularly like the quilting. Your use of a variety of thread colours and weights gives a lot of visual interest and texture to your quilt.

    ReplyDelete